Saturday, October 11, 2008

Seven-herb Kayu

Today, I would like to introduce Japanese Traditional festival food called SEVEN-HERB KAYU.
This is Long standing Japanese Traditional Food that most of Japanese eat this every January 7th.
Frankly to say, This food includes seven different types of herb and rice gruel. 
I have eaten this every year since I was born because my mother is a person who always strict to follow Japanese
traditional events. I like it because it is really tasty and healthy. I definitely recommend all of you to eat this as diet food.


I would like to explain those seven herb.
Seri (Water dropwort)
Nazuna (Shepher's purse)
Gogyo(CudWeed)
Hakobera(Chickweed)
Suzuna(Turnip)
Suzushiro (radish)
Hotokenoza(Nipplewort)
These seven different herb are in rice gruel little by each. 
You do not want to put them a lot in rice because you want to eat it with just smell of herb. 
We do not put spice that much. Taste should be really simple so We do not put much seasoning. 
Japanese eat seven-herb kayo on every January 7th because they think that seven of the first month is really important day and need to keep up with healthy and peace days though a year ahead. 
It is a true that some Japanese do not follow this traditional event anymore because
they do not think it is important event anymore. 
However, I am still doing this event and I wont stop it because
this traditional Japanese food is really important to be handed down to posterity. 
there are many different ways to eat this kayu depending on person.
I like to eat this with egg and soy sauce. 

all pictures from Google

No comments: