Sunday, September 7, 2008

Where did Japanese Curry rice come from??

Do you know a history of curry?? 
Do you know where the first curry came from?
How did Japanese curry become popular as Japanese traditional food?
The reason why I would like to talk about it because Curry rice is one of my favorite Japanese foods.
I have eaten many different kinds of curry for many years. 
I thought Curry is Japanese food and made by Japanese long long time ago.

However, it is wrong. the very first curry came from India in 18th century. 
The curry at the era was very different from Japanese curry now. 
Indian used many kinds of spice and yogurt as curry powder. They made their own curry by mixing spices. 
During 18th century, India was a colony of England, so some England told others about curry. 
During Meiji era, Japanese started to be influenced by European culture and Japanese copied their curry. As time goes by, Japanese made their original curry like today.


As traditional and normal Japanese curry, 
we use potatoes, carrots, onions, and pork or beef. 
Of course, there are a lots of different types of curry in Japan,
such as, fried beef curry, octopus curry, horse meet curry, and vegetable curry etc...
My favorite curry that my mother cooks is Summer Vegetable curry.
I love it very much. She uses many summer vegetable in it,
such as, carrots, onions, cabbage, celery, eggplant etc... it sounds yummy doesn't it?? :)
 I am learning how the curry is cooked from my mother now♡






All picture are from Google

No comments: